Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Things I Love This Week.

1.  Telepictionary.
 I have not laughed as hard as I did last weekend for a very long time.  We are talking about a cheeks-aching-cuz-you-are-laughing-so-much good time here.  First of all, I must give full credit to my lovely sis-in-law, Cassie, as she is the one who a) suggested it. b) the one who proceeded to bug us to play  until we relented. c) and now she is the person to whom we can attribute a fun evening to.


I thought it would simply be mean to just show you pictures of us giggling, snickering and having a good ol' time, so I will include the instructions as well.  Here it goes.

You will need paper.  Lots and lots of paper.  I will warn you, this is not an environmentally friendly game.  However, if you have a whole bunch of notepads that haven't seen the light of day in a few years, pull them out cuz they have just found this purpose on this earth.

Each person gets the amount of pieces of paper equal to the amount of people playing.  (6 people playing, everybody gets 6 pieces of paper)

Number these pieces of paper (1-6 in this case) in the bottom right corner.

Then, let the creative juices flow...

On that first piece of paper you are going to write down a concept, an action, idea, object, place etc.  Basically something that could be translated into picture that might be semi-difficult, but not impossible to draw.  For example, we wrote down such things as an orange juicer, 1960's Russia, and a penguin playing lite brite. (I wish I could remember what more of them were but I'm having a mental block today so we will just have to settle for those examples.)

As you can see here, this is the thinking phase.

After everybody has written their idea down you then pass your whole stack of papers to the next person, leaving your written idea on top.  That person then reads it, moves that piece of paper to the bottom of the stack and then attempts to draw what they just read on paper #2.
We had a rather large variance in drawing abilities amongst us which produced some rather intriguiging results.  I love this game because you really don't have to be a good artist. In fact,  the compounding miscommunication that occurs is really what this is all about.

After doing your best to draw what was written you will again pass the whole stack leaving your picture on top.  This time you will look at the picture and write down what you think it is. You will draw, write, draw, write, etc.  You will continue this cycle around the table until you end up with your original stack.   The further around it gets the more convoluted the pictures and descriptions become.
Finally, after many puzzled faces, bad drawings, and not a few muffled giggles and mutterings of "what the crap is this supposed to be?" (going for the pg version here, insert your own expletive if you so choose) comes the reveal. 

This is the time to make sense of it all.  Can't you see the lightbulbs going on here?

Each person takes a turn to show their original idea and what it morphed into and finally became.  And this is when the laughter comes...



There is so much absurdity that occurs that you simply can't help but be amused.

Seriously a lot of fun and totally recommended.

Go forth and have a good time.





Like them.







Moving right along, and as a reminder to those who may have been enthralled with my description of Telepictionary the title of the this post is "The Things I Love This Week".

2.  Half Price Appetizers after 9 at Applebees... especially when the homemade dinner was a complete bust and the sauce that was supposed to tie it all together was one of the most disgusting things I have tasted in a long time.  There is nothing like some tasty Honey BBQ wings to rectify that situation.


3. My garlic.
It just makes me smile.  When I was watching videos about gardening they suggested that if you have kids you should plant some things that will sprout early on and grow quickly so that the kids will be excited about the garden.  Well, I say that age has nothing to do it.  Pretty sure I squealed when I saw the first sprout.  :)



Have a fabulous weekend and I hope you've discovered a few things this week that you love!

3 comments:

  1. I get excited about new sprouts in my garden too. The game does sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That game was tremendous. Just tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I think we need an update. I miss knowing what's going on!

    ReplyDelete