Thursday, April 21, 2011

This is my Garden.

So living in a second floor condo is not exactly conducive for gardening.  There is the whole thing about not having a yard that makes it a tad difficult.  In all of my research (thank you google) I did find out that plants do require some sort of dirt in which to place said plants. 

Enter: container gardening

 Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.  I started off with a few containers that were actually designed for plants and then I realized that got real expensive real quick.  Next stop... our garage.

Anything I thought would do a reasonable job at holding dirt I grabbed.
In fact, this lovely number here used to be my Barbie box.  Raise your hand if you had a Barbie box too.  No reason to be ashamed.  :)

Let's just say it has long outlived its original purpose.

 So I drilled a few holes in the bottom for drainage because the websites told me to and I put in some onions. 

Next, I went to Goodwill and found several more baskets, buckets, and what I think used to be a trash can.  This was actually a lot of fun and super cheap.  Didn't pay more than three dollars for any of them and most of them were 99 cents. 


I believe they would call this style "eclectic", btw.

Again, I drilled holes in the bottom of them with the power drill, which I kind of get a kick out of.  (I blame my brothers)

 There were so very many plants, flowers, and vegetables that I wanted to get.  Seriously, there are way too many possibilities. I had no idea. I was finally able to stop myself although, I think it had more to do with the size of our porch rather than my self discipline.  Here is what we ended up with...
Cilantro.
 Strawberries.
 Italian Parsley.
 Garlic.
Tomatoes
And then the plants that I neglected to take pictures of... jalapenos, basil, dill, onions, romaine lettuce, and some flowers that I don't actually know what their names are.

I promise to fill you in as I go along.  I have high hopes and I totally want to be the person who gives away handfuls of fresh veggies to people who will most likely not eat them (or is that just me?)  Anyway, so here's to hoping that I remember to water!

1 comment:

  1. ahahaha you're posts make me laugh! remembering the good times in the dorms... Me: Hey have you seen my flip flops? Naomi: The ones from Brazil? Me: Yeah. Naomi: Nope, I deported them! ...and "It's like we're from the SAME MOM!"

    ReplyDelete